Are you looking for a solar panel system, so you can make the switch to cleaner, more efficient solar power? Great! There’s no better way to save money on your electric bills, or protect our environment. But if you’re thinking of making the switch, you’re probably wondering just how efficient solar panels are, and if there is anything you can do to keep them working as efficiently as possible. The efficiency of solar panels depends on several things, such as weather conditions, how they are installed, and how well they are taken care of, meaning there are things that you can do to increase your solar panel efficiency.
What Is Solar Efficiency?
When we talk about solar efficiency, we mean how much power a solar panel can produce, or how well a solar panel can convert energy from the sun into energy for your home or business. Solar panels are pretty efficient, but they will lose efficiency over time (around 18- 20%). But, as we pointed out above, their efficiency can also be affected by how the panels are constructed, how they are installed, and what type of weather conditions they are exposed to.
For example, snow can affect a solar panel’s performance, and the amount of shade where they are installed can have a big effect on how much energy your solar panels can produce. If a solar panel is not installed correctly and does not get enough sunlight, its efficiency will take a hit.
Increasing Solar Panel Efficiency
Luckily, there are things you can do to make sure that your solar panels are as efficient as possible, and are producing more than enough power for your home or business. The best way to keep your solar panels working to their full potential is to:
- Clean your solar panels– If your panels are dirty, the sun won’t be able to effectively get through to the solar cells.
- Schedule regular maintenance– You should have a trained professional check your panels at least once a year.
- Heat/cool your home carefully– The best way to keep your solar panels working efficiently is not to overuse them. Make sure that you’re using your thermostat to your advantage: for example, you can turn the temperature down at night during the winter and use a warmer blanket, or turn off the AC while you’re not home in the summer.
- Use LED lights– LED lights consume less electricity, so they use less energy from your solar panels.
- Trust a great company to install your solar panel system– The best way to get the most efficient solar panels is to buy them from a trusted company. Go Solar Energy can compare all of the different types of solar panels for sale, and we’ll set you up with a local agent who will go over all available plans to help you find the solar energy system that best suits your needs and finances.
Have questions? Go Solar Energy can help! Our agents are highly trained and knowledgeable in the solar industry and can assist you with any questions you have. If you are interested in installing a solar energy system in your home or business, we can compare quotes from the top-rated companies in your area and find you the best plan with the most efficient solar panels – and we’ll save you money. Get started by entering your zip code in the bar on our homepage, or for free quotes and guidance from one of our licensed agents, call 888-290-3112.