Solar panels are not cheap initially, but they will provide you with savings on your electricity bills for at the very least 20 years. And, as with anything valuable, if you do install solar panels on your roof, there will be thieves looking to steal them – yes, even solar panels can get stolen from your home! You might be thinking, “How is that even possible?” Well think about it: if you weren’t home and some men in jumpsuits came and started grabbing your panels, odds are the neighbors would think that you were just getting maintenance work done. While it might sound outlandish to even think about solar panel theft, it is a growing issue in America, so find ways to protect your assets.
The “Crime of The Future”
Solar panel theft has been on the rise in recent years, even at businesses that install solar panels: one company in California had more than $30,000 worth of solar panels stolen in 2008. The company suspected that it happened during installation, because the panels were expertly removed. If these companies are vulnerable to solar panel theft, then anyone can be, especially homeowners with ground-mounted solar panel systems – but that does not mean people with solar roof panels are safe.
How You Can Protect Your Investment
Solar panels are expensive, but in time, you’ll get a full return on your investment, unless they get stolen! Some ways to protect yourself include:
- Make sure your panels are covered by your homeowners insurance policy. Adding your solar panels and your solar energy system to your homeowners insurance policy will ensure that you are covered in case they are damaged or stolen.
- Install movement detector lights on your roof in case someone tries to steal your panels in the middle of the night.
- Ask for the serial numbers of your solar panels when they are installed – this won’t stop thieves from stealing them, but it will protect you if you need to make a claim.
- Lock them up! There are companies that make lockable hex nuts with their own unique key for solar panels.
- Install an alarm system with a wire that gets tripped if the solar panels are tampered with or removed.
- Put surveillance stickers on your solar panel system that say your system is protected by an alarm company. Just be sure it does not compromise efficiency or interfere with your warranty beforehand.
Looking For Affordable Solar Panels?
Solar energy companies all produce different types of solar panels at different price points, with some producing more efficient panels than others. The key to finding the most efficient and affordable solar panels is comparing all the different options from multiple companies – and Go Solar Energy can help with that! We work with the top-rated companies in the nation, and our highly trained agents can compare plans in minutes to find the most efficient panels for your budget. Solar panels are a large investment, but they can really work for you, so allow us to help you find a system that will save you money. To get free instant quotes, simply enter your zip code on our homepage, or to speak to a local agent, call 888-290-3112.